Clinton High School Anti-Bullying Policy
Iowa anti-bullying laws include the following definitions of harassment and bullying:
“Harassment” and “bullying” shall be construed to mean any electronic, written, verbal, or physical act or conduct toward a student which is based on any actual or perceived trait or characteristic of the student and which creates an objectively hostile school environment that meets one or more of the following conditions:
(1) Places the student in reasonable fear of harm to the student’s person or property;
(2) Has a substantially detrimental effect on the student’s physical or mental health;
(3) Has the effect of substantially interfering with a student’s academic performance; and
(4) Has the effect of substantially interfering with the student’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities, or privileges provided by a school.
Iowa Code § 280.28 (2007)
Clinton High School takes pride in providing a safe, supportive school environment for all students and staff. Administration investigates all bullying and harassment claims and handles all matters with the utmost confidentiality. If you feel that you are being harassed or bullied, please follow these steps:
- If you are not afraid, tell the harasser to stop immediately.
- You need to report the incident to a teacher, school counselor, or administrator.
- While the incident is fresh in your mind, write down what happened – include when and where it happened and who else saw it.
- Be sure you avoid being alone with the harasser.
- If you witness an event, follow steps 1, 2 and 3.
If you feel that you have been a victim of harassment or bullying please fill out and submit the form below. Please attach any documentation that can substantiate your claim. Please click here to complete the Bullying and Harassing form. An administrator, counselor or the School Resource Officer will contact you as soon as possible, no later than the next school day.